August 10, 2007

Review: She-Hulk Volume 1: Single Green Female

COVER BY: ADI GRANOV
WRITER: DAN SLOTT
PENCILS: JUAN BOBILLO & SCOTT KOLINS

I have to say, this is the first time I've read a She-Hulk comic book (being a beginner - see blog description) and I'm impressed.

She-Hulk Vol. 1: Single Green Female is a compilation of Issues #1-6 of the latest She-Hulk incarnation. This storyline features the green goddess' alter ego, Jen Walters. Jen is a mousy lawyer that is nothing like the loud and boisterous She-Hulk. This is really the story of a woman dealing with the inconsistencies between her outer self and her real self.

That sounds very deep and depressing, but it's not. Dan Slott writes it tongue-in-cheek which makes me happy. There are a lot of references to other Marvel superheroes and supervillains which you may or may not understand if just starting out. But that will happen with any "universe" story.

I love Juan Bobillo's artwork (#1-4); it's very cartoon-y. His She-Hulk is nice and curvy, not just all scary muscles, yet very imposing at the same time. He has a nice way of adding humor to the pages too. Once you see his panels of Jen turning into She-Hulk I think you will be converted. I couldn't find any links to his artwork in this, but you can just go to the store and see!

Scott Kolins did the pencilling for #5 and 6. It's not that it's bad, it's just not my favorite. He has a more common style for She-Hulk. But in my opinion, it didn't match the writing as well.

I will be picking up the next volumes of She-Hulk which are already out. She-Hulk Volume 1 definitely lived up to my expectations and beyond.

2 comments:

Gloom Raider said...

I'm like you in that I just got into She-Hulk, and though this book was great. I'm starting to think I have a thing for law comics, though-- have you ever read any Wolff and Byrd: Supernatural Law books?

KarenR said...

No I have not, are they good?